Wednesday, 14 November 2012

Listening To Scenes From The Shining While Running In The Arctic

I terrified myself last night. I went for a late night run around the lodge (not so late, it was only 8pm but the sun had already set hours earlier). Around 1km from the house there are no longer any street lights so my head lamp (thank you John Arvid) was the only thing lighting a small patch of snow in front of me. I was listening to my favourite podcast (thank you Adam and Josh) and, in the middle of their discussion about horror, they played that seminal scene of The Grady Twins trying to lure Danny to his death..."come play with us Danny...forever...and ever...and ever..." This is not the sort of thing you want to hear while out running on your own in the pitch black surrounded by unfamiliar forest and snow.

Luckily, the Grady Twins didn't get me. I survived to see the sun the next day.
This is what it looks like, hitting the snowy beach outside our lodge:



When we're not outside freezing (or diving into this water, as Mar and I did today) we're editing. Here - as a monument to time and space, effort and coffee and the filmmaking process - is the first cut made on this film:


 
Remember this moment, ladies and gentlemen. The first cut is the deepest.

No comments: